Sunday, October 29, 2017

My 2017 Grayson Highlands Half Marathon

For 2017 I decided to sign up for the half marathon on Sunday, May 7. That way I wouldn't need to use vacation time to travel the six or so hours to southwestern Virginia. As an added bonus the half marathon had a 9:00 a.m. starting time. 

I waited too long to make hotel reservations so I ended up staying in a run down Rodeway Inn in Galax, VA. It was not deluxe. The prior year Marie and I stayed in a nice hotel in Independence, VA which was a lot closer to the park.


The Pinnacle

I'm glad I chose the half marathon. It was chilly but had mostly sunny skies. The 50k on Saturday had snow, sleet and generally inclement weather.


My first view inside the park
When I arrived at the park the temperature was 38 degrees - very unexpected for the month of May. Packet pickup was very windy and chilly. I went back to my car to stay warm until the start.

Run Bum
Just like last year Run Bum gave the pre-race brief standing on the trunk of his car. He told us we should stop and take pictures along the course. This is not what you normally hear at the start of a race. He said this was a scenic trail run not a Boston Qualifier. Then we were sent on our way.

A short run on pavement to begin the race
Run Bum really knows how to lay out scenic courses. I think that's why he named his company Run Bum Tours. 

It didn't take long until we were at the scenic overlook shown below.


The first of many overlooks
Then we encountered our first stream crossing. There was a runner who had obviously never done a mountain trail race before. She asked me where to go and I told her we have to run across the stream. I enjoyed seeing the look of surprise on her face.

The first stream crossing
Then we ran up along side a really nice waterfall. The trail there was muddy, rooty and gnarly. Lots of fun!

A waterfall
 Above the waterfall was some of nicest singletrack I have ever been on.


Singletrack above the waterfall 

Finally we made it to Massie Gap where the feral ponies live. You're not supposed to get too close to them, but they don't seem to mind being photographed. It looked like a lot of them were ready to give birth.

Feral ponies

More feral ponies

Massie Gap

A runner I met from Crozet, VA

Another stream crossing

A small waterfall

Climbing up toward the finish

The highest race in Virgina - 5,000 ft,
The three mile climb back up toward the finish line is pretty steep. Once you get to the top you're not done yet. Run Bum then sends you out on a loop to some rocks where there are incredible views like the ones shown below.







Then you run through a section of woods to the finish line. I noticed there was still some snow there from the day before.

Snow near the finish line

My GPS track

I highly recommend either the 50k or the half. Both are spectacular.

Finisher medal and shirt


No comments:

Post a Comment